In recognition of National Baby Safety Month, we’ve caught up with Evenflo’s Safety Advocate, Sarah Haverstick to get the scoop on the most recent car seat safety guidelines to help keep your little ones safe while on the road! Plus look below for a chance to win the Evenflo Gold SensorSafe™ EveryStage Smart All-in-One Convertible Car Seat!
- Buying the right car seat
You may have heard that the recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is that children ride in rear-facing car seats for as long as possible, until they reach the height or weight limit for their rear-facing car seat. Finding the right seat for your child can be confusing given the myriad of options.
Here is what we recommend once your baby has outgrown their infant car seat and beyond:
- A convertible or all-in-one car seat, is a great next step after an infant seat. These seats can be used in multiple modes and have higher height and weight limits for rear facing use – allowing your child to remain rear facing longer as recommended by the AAP.
- Once your child has reached either the height or weight limit in rear facing mode, a convertible or all-in-one can continue to be used in forward facing mode. This makes this purchase a really versatile and long-lasting option for your family. Most convertible or all-in-one car seats can be used until 65 lbs in forward facing mode. The AAP recommends keeping them in this type of car seat in this position until they exceed either the weight or height limit.
- Your child may be ready to move into a belt-positioning booster seat once they have outgrown their forward facing harnessed car seat. Your child must meet the minimum height, weight and age requirements – and be mature enough to keep the seat belt properly positioned for your entire car ride. The booster seat secures your child using the vehicle’s lap-and-shoulder belt system, and they come in high back or backless varieties.
- Importance of Installation
3 out of 4 car seats are not used correctly which can obviously greatly impact their ability to protect a child in the event of a crash. When you are going through the car seat purchasing process, it is important to think about the installation and use requirements of that car seat. Make sure they align with your child, your vehicle and your lifestyle – for example, are you going to be moving it frequently it between different vehicles? Parents can seek out one of the many certified car seat technicians located across the country to assist with any questions or concerns, including car seat selection and installation details for their specific vehicle.
- Positioning the Harness Properly
When your car seat is installed in a rear-facing position, the harness should be positioned at or below your child’s shoulders. When installed in a forward-facing position, the harness should be positioned at or above your child’s shoulders. Position the car seat’s chest clip at armpit level when clipping your child into their car seat and make sure the harness straps are lying flat and snug on the child’s shoulders before starting your trip. Evenflo’s SensorSafe™ technology is built right into the chest clip of all of their Gold line car seats and will alert you if the chest clip becomes unbuckled, giving you peace of mind while on the road.
- Importance of Proper Clothing
As the weather starts to get colder remember not to dress your child in blanket sleepers or other clothing that would prevent the crotch buckle from fitting snugly up against your child. Bulky jackets or outerwear should be removed before placing your child in the car seat. Heavy clothing also has the potential to overheat a young child in their car seat. Evenflo’s SensorSafe™ technology can also alert you if the air temperature around the child is too hot or too cold.
More About Evenflo’s SensorSafe™ technology:
When you’re focused on driving, the SensorSafe™ application stays focused on making sure your baby stays safe, happy and buckled up. If your little one suddenly becomes unharnessed or too warm, the SensorSafe™ smart chest clip lets you know instantly using a wireless receiver. You can even have alerts sent right to your mobile phone using our free app.
The SensorSafe™ technology is built into Evenflo’s Gold line including the SecureMax Smart Infant Car Seat, and the EveryStage Smart All-in-One-Convertible Car Seat. You can use the promo code, GUGURU10 for a 10% discount off any of the Evenflo Gold products!
National Baby Safety Month is this September, but your child’s safety is a priority on a daily basis. We hope you check out these tips and continue to practice them not just this month but beyond and make sure to keep your baby safe every day.