When it comes to baby led weaning (learn more about BLW here), it’s fun to try new recipes for your little one. A fantastic place to learn new and healthy recipes is Hello Fresh. Hello Fresh makes it easy to try new recipes because they provide you with everything you need, including step by step instructions (hello, mom brain). Did you know you could add Hello Fresh boxes to your registry? Today we’re sharing a delicious and healthy zucchini bread muffins from Hello Fresh’s blog ideal for baby led weaning, toddlers, kids or yourself.
One of the best ways to get colorful veggies into those tiny tummies is to bake with them. Zucchini, being the high water content food that it is, works wonders to add moisture to breads and muffins alike — which makes it our go-to veggie come dessert.
These treats are slightly sweet and incredibly flavorful thanks to the addition of cinnamon and ginger — two warming autumnal spices. If you’re in a bind, feel free to skip the butterfly decorations and just top with a slather of frosting. But if not, we highly recommend it. Plus, the kids will LOVE it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the batter:
- 2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 125 Grams (8 Tablespoons) Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tablespoons Unsweetened Yogurt
- 3/4 Cup Packed Grated Zucchini
For the frosting:
- 1 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Crushed Pineapple, drained
Here’s what you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with liners.
2. In a large bowl, beat together all cupcake ingredients (except grated zucchini) until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. Fold in grated zucchini.
4. Spoon mixture into muffin tin and bake until golden and firm to the touch, 25-30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare frosting by beating cream cheese, sugar, and pineapple together until light and fluffy.
6. Once muffins are cool, scoop out a shallow circle from the middle. Chop circle in half — these are your wings!
7. Fill hole with frosting. Stick wings flat side down, pointing out and up.