See Kate Sew partners with Gugu Guru once again to share a fantastic DIY tutorial. This time? A lovely little baby hat brim hack for sunny days. Want to check out more DIY projects from Kate? Click over to see the full list – lots of fun summer project ideas!
I’m excited to be back sharing a quick DIY baby hat brim hack with you today! I’m wearing a Tula mesh carrier and you can enter to win one below! This carrier is awesome, it’s easy to put on myself and has two buckles to secure it. You wear this wrap on your hips which distributes the weight perfectly and keeps baby nice and close! The mesh line is great for summer, it’s breathable and lightweight!
I love this basic grey one, but the Tula Carrier also comes in a bunch of cute prints! You can wear it on the front or back and holds larger toddlers, which is awesome!
Tula also makes blankets! Their wide variety of blankets are super soft and cute! I really don’t think you can ever have enough baby blankets.
Today’s DIY is a sunhat made from a bonnet that you can fold up for a little extra color. You’ll need a basic bonnet or bonnet pattern to start. You can use my pattern here or a premade bonnet!
-1/4 cotton quilting fabric
-lightweight fusible interfacing
1. Cut out 2 brim pieces from cotton. Use a contrast fabric for one of them if you want an extra pop of color inside. Cut out 1 brim piece from fusible interfacing.
2. Fuse interfacing to the back of the brim lining fabric. Pin brim to the front of the bonnet, starting in the middle and winding around the front. Pin brim lining to bonnet lining and outer brim to outer bonnet.
3. Unfold both pieces and pin twill tape to the bottom front.
4. Pin both bonnet pieces together with right sides together (twill tape in between). Sew all the way around the hat and brim, leaving a 2-3″ opening at the bottom.
4. Turn right side out and press well. Topstitch over the opening to close the bonnet. And you’re done!
Check out some more fun DIY projects with Kate:
- Our top favorite See Kate Sew baby projects
- DIY Lunchbag tutorial
- DIY Pacifier Clips
- DIY Baby Hats
- DIY Paint Splatter Bibs