This is more of a momprenuers (plural) feature. We speak with Lisa Williamson Rowe, co-founder and CEO of UpSpring Baby – a brand that creates first-of-their-kind products for today’s modern family. UpSpring’s mission is to improve the lives of moms and babies alike and create products that promote health, wellness, and safety. With Mother’s Day around the corner, it seemed like the perfect time to sit down and speak with Lisa about UpSpring’s dedication to health and wellness improvement for mom.
GG: How did you decide to launch your business? Tell us a little more about UpSpring.
LR: We [along with fellow co-founders Julie Jumonville and Dede Woodman] were three mom entrepreneurs that saw unmet needs in the mom & baby market. In 2005, we decided to partner up and create products that met those needs. Our first two products were Milkscreen, an at-home alcohol detection kit for breast milk, and Walking Wings, a unique tool for babies learning to take their first steps.
GG: How do you balance work and family?
LR: In my home, we definitely have family focus time, like dinner time. However, UpSpring has really just become part of our daily life and my family is likewise so much a part of UpSpring. My children and family life have inspired the UpSpring brand in many ways, and have given input and feedback all along the way as we’ve built the company.
GG: What’s the best part of being a mompreneur?
LR: It is just so rewarding partnering with other mom entrepreneurs and sharing products. We are now a village and that village includes other mom inventors, pediatricians and medical experts all sharing our dedication to promote wellness.
Some of Gugu Guru’s favorite products from the UpSpring catalog:
- Milkscreen is an easy-to-use at home test that detects alcohol in breast milk. Because everyone metabolizes alcohol differently, the amount of time it takes for alcohol to leave your breast milk also varies. Now you may never have to pump and dump breast milk again.
- Milkflow is a concentrated blend of natural herbal extracts including fenugreek and blessed thistle. This powdered drink mix helps you stay hydrated, promotes a healthy breast milk supply and is far more exciting to take than pills.
- The Wellmom Breast Pillow is designed specifically to support the mother’s breast while breastfeeding. UpSpring’s new pillow is the first of its kind to provide optimal breast placement while nursing, which resolves the tiresome and painful-to-the-wrist act of physically holding the breast. The pillow lifts and comfortably supports the breast, and its stay-in-place cover holds the breast in position for hands-free nursing.
- C-Panty: C Section Recovery Underwear: C-Panty after cesarean-section panty speeds recovery and slims post baby belly. Compression reduces pain and increases mobility. C-Panty takes care of you so you can take care of baby in comfort.
- MS Panty: Postpartum Recovery Underwear: Designed for vaginal deliveries, MS-Panty is an after baby panty to speed up getting your pre-body back with just the right amount of compression.
- Wellmom’s Organic Coconut Nipple Balm expedites healing and moisturizes tender skin with all natural ingredients that are okay for baby to ingest. Wellmom Coconut Nipple Balm does not contain lanolin, petrolatum, or parabens so you don’t have to remove the balm before breastfeeding baby.
- Shrinkx Hips Ultra is the first and only wrap clinically proven to narrow hips after delivery. Shrinkx Hips works thanks to the hormone Relaxin which loosens pelvic joints and ligaments for childbirth. Relaxin stays in your system up to 8 weeks after delivery. Wearing Shrinkx Hips during this time gently guides hips back to their pre-pregnancy position, or smaller.
- Shrinkx Belly Postpartum Belly Wrap helps you lose inches faster off your belly and waist after delivery. Triple compression customizes fit so you can look and feel better sooner.